Friday, June 26, 2009

Mini 10/10v 6 Cell Battery a Spoiler or a Spoiler?

Dell provides dimensions and weight of the Mini 10 and 10V Netbooks with a 3 cell battery only. Browsing the net, there are few references (let alone decent pictures) that show the impact of adding 3 additional batteries. I have read some opinions suggesting the 6 cell battery is a "spoiler" in that it makes the product too ugly and inconvenient to buy.

I have decided to add to the "6 cell battery as a spoiler" theme. Take a look at the picture on the left - using my Dell Mini 10v with 6 cell battery I have mounted an after market spoiler to increase the high speed road holding capabilities to my 2000 Ford Focus! Thus far, I haven't thought of a good fastening mechanism. It would be nice to be able to attach and detach the 10v rapidly as required for high speed travels and computer use.

In this context I can truthfully say the 6 Cell pack is a true spoiler. What about the 6 cell pack in the context of what a Netbook is supposed to do? This is one area where it is up to you to be the judge. With this in mind, refer to the picture below:


The total height of the computer is about 5 cm verses 2.83 cm for the 3 cell counterpart. The weights compare at 1334 versus 1200 grams respectively (I thought the 3 cell version would weigh less - but, according to the Dell site it is 1200 grams).

Personally, I find the keyboard tilt a positive thing for typing. I also have no issues carrying the computer on my lap, as I am doing now whilst writing this post. Hence, for me it can only say that it is ugly as sin but good to have. So, I do not see the 6 cell pack as a spoiler. On the contrary - the battery life of the 3 cell pack would truly be a spoiler. Not only that - you would no longer be able to use your Mini 10 or 10v as a spoiler add-on for your car!

2 comments:

  1. I do think it would be better to have 6 cell but the battery would stick out and i really am looking for stylish yet smooth running for msn and bebo, i would mostly be using it in my room so i could play and charge at the same time would i be better off getting a relgular inspiron is is worth the extra cash for style or would you say the 6 cell battery flaw is not a flaw at all is it any inconvenience???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not mind it. Just like any other flaw, you get used to it. If you always have a plug nearby, perhaps 6 cells are not required. I find the long life is very useful as I am out and about quite a bit and do not have power close by.

    ReplyDelete